Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Limitations

It's great to be confident. But, to quote Dirty Harry in Magnum Force, a man's got to know his limitations.

I'm not going to go into the Capability Maturity Model in this post - you can look it up yourself.  I don't really like the idea of giving an organization a single score on their capabilities, because I think most organizations are great at some things and pretty terrible at others, and you lose a lot of resolution if you try to pack all of that into one step.

I do think that a lot of organizations are delusional about their capabilities.  I recently read a Computer Weekly article by Warwick Ashford saying that 60% of the organizations they surveyed had had an outage due to digital certificates in the past year.  Sixty percent of organizations are having trouble managing their certificates.

In case you hadn't heard, certificates are the foundation of the Secure Web.  Browsers are starting to break sessions if the certs aren't good.  In words of two syllables or less: If you can't do certs, you will fail at the sexy stuff,  Stuff like automation, single-sign on, big data, AI, and all the other cutting-edge things your boss wants you to do this year. 

Almost any next-gen technology you build is going to rely on your infrastructure, and if  you're having trouble with foundational capabilities like certificate management, or DNS, or routing, you may want to seriously rethink your roadmap.  Maybe it's time to stop fishing and cut bait for a while.

After all, a man's got to know his limitations.

1 comment:

Patient Gardening

I was pulling weeds in my garden last weekend, and it struck me that there are a lot of parallels between gardening and cybersecurity.  I’m...